The Board of Directors shall consist of:
- the officers, including the General Chairperson, who shall, however, vote only in the case of a tied vote;
- representatives of active members of the association according to the following criteria:
- each active member shall be represented on the Board of Directors by one representative for the first 300, or fraction thereof, of its teachers covered by the bargaining certificate(s);
- every active member with more than 300 teachers covered by the bargaining certificate(s) shall be entitled to one additional representative for each additional 300, or major fraction thereof, of its teachers covered by the bargaining certificate(s); for purposes of this article, the computation of the teachers covered by the bargaining certificate(s) of the active member shall be made as of October 31st of the year preceding the year for which the nominations are being made.
- persons employed by the Association or its active members;
- chairpersons of the standing committees of the Association.
The duties of the Board of Directors shall be:
- to meet for the dispatch of business at least once a month between September and May inclusive, and at any other times if deemed necessary by the Executive Committee;
- to consider all matters placed on the agenda by the Executive Committee for such meetings and to take such action on each item as the Board of Directors may consider wise;
- to consider all matters submitted by Directors, if written notice of motion has been given to the President at least four days prior to the meeting of the Board of Directors, and to take such action on these matters as the Board of Directors may consider wise;
- to consider matters introduced by a member of the Board of Directors only if, in the opinion of the Chair, such matters are sufficiently urgent to justify the waiving of the need for prior notice. The Chair’s ruling on the urgency of these matters shall be subject to appeal to the meeting. A simple majority vote of those present and voting shall be required to reverse the Chair’s ruling;
- to appoint such committees as are necessary for the functioning of the Association and to further its objectives;
- to appoint a Discipline Committee in the manner provided for in Article 1.05;
- to have in charge the general interests of the association in the intervals between annual general meetings of the Provincial Council;
- to convene meetings of the Provincial Council on the recommendation of the Executive Committee, and to approve the agenda for such meetings, as drawn up by the Executive Committee;
- to ratify the appointment by the Executive Committee of the staff of the Association;
- to establish the policy governing all Association publications;
- to see that those entrusted with the property and funds of the Association are adequately bonded with a guarantee company;
- to appoint the auditors of the Association and see that the books of the Secretary-Treasurer are audited each year, or as often as required during the year;
- to report on its activities to the Provincial Council at its annual general meeting; and
- to determine from time to time the location of the head office of the Association.
The Board of Directors shall have the right:
- to borrow money in the name of the Association and to limit the amount to be borrowed;
- to issue bonds, debenture stock, debentures, notes and other negotiable securities in the name of the Association;
- to sell, pledge, exchange or dispose of such bonds, debentures, debenture stock, notes and other negotiable securities at such prices, and under such conditions, as may be deemed the most expedient; and
- to grant, bargain, sell, alienate, convey, confirm, assign, hypothecate, mortgage, pledge or charge, and cede and transfer all or any of the real and moveable, freehold and leasehold, undertaking and business and other property, assets and tights of the Association, including uncalled capital, both present and future of whatsoever kind and wheresoever situate, to secure any such bonds, debentures, debenture stock, notes and other negotiable securities of any money borrowed or any other liability of the Association.