The Canadian Teachers’ Federation (CTF) needs English and French-speaking Canadian teachers at the elementary and secondary levels who are interested in volunteering to offer in-services in a wide range of subjects in countries throughout Africa and the Caribbean. Many current projects include literacy acquisition, gender equality, special education and peace education as well as the core subject areas of English, Math, Science and Social Studies, within a child-centred methodology.
Each year, close to 60 Canadian teachers are chosen to volunteer on CTF’s Project Overseas. On PO, Canadian teachers give their time and talent to offer professional development in-service programs in partnership with teacher organizations in developing countries. Based on requests from CTF’s partners overseas, teams of Canadian teachers are formed in January and in-service projects take place in July and August.
Application criteria include:
- be a member of a provincial or territorial teacher organization that supports PO
- hold a valid teacher’s certificate
- have completed at least five full years of teaching in Canada by July 2018
- be a Canadian citizen
- be in excellent health and able to work in developing country conditions
- show evidence of flexibility, mature judgment, skills and a strong willingness to put the team and project needs above personal needs
- hold a Canadian passport valid until at least July 2019 (proof that a passport application has been made will be accepted)
PO is a volunteer experience. Administrative, travel, and living expenses are borne by CTF and provincial and territorial teachers’ organizations that are CTF members. No salaries or honoraria are paid to participants in PO, sponsors do not cover costs associated with substitute teachers or release time, and no family or friends are permitted during pre-departure orientation or overseas programs.
Application forms and additional information are available from:
Susan Reid at email@example.com or call (514) 694-9777, ext. 230 (1-800-361-9870)
Please submit applications to QPAT by mail, fax or e-mail by November 10, 2017 at the latest.
QPAT, 17035 Brunswick Boulevard, Kirkland, Quebec H9H 5G6
Fax: (514) 694-0189