Pension Information Sessions

Pension Plans

QPAT teachers make pension contributions to the Government and Public Employees Retirement Plan (RREGOP is the commonly used French acronym) and to the Quebec Pension Plan (QPP). Teachers receive benefits from each of these plans, which are integrated at age 65. QPAT offers support to teachers through retirement preparation workshops and information documents to help them understand their potential pension benefits.

QPAT does not have direct access to an individual teacher’s pension data. Retraite Québec is the body that has this information, both for the RREGOP and for the QPP. Retraite Québec is responsible for the calculation and payment of both pensions. For more information, go to or call the following numbers:

For RREGOP enquiries: 1-800-463-5533
For QPP enquiries: 514-873-2433 or 1-800-463-5185

Basic Pension Information for QPAT Members (2017)

Frequently asked questions

These questions are general in nature and only for illustrative purposes. Each individual’s situation will be different.

Q. Which teachers contribute to the pension plan?

A: Since January 1, 1988 all teachers, whether they are full-time, part-time, hourly rate or substitute teachers, pay contributions to both RREGOP and QPP based on the amount of time worked. Prior to January 1, 1988, only teachers with regular contracts contributed to RREGOP.

Q: What is the pension benefit?

A: The pension benefits for RREGOP are based on a formula. The basic annual pension is calculated as follows: 2% x average best paid five years of salary X the number of total years of contributions. For example, someone with a best five year average salary of $75,000 who has contributed for 35 years will receive $52,500 per year (2% x 75,000 x 35). This amount will be reduced at age 65 to take into account the eligibility for the 100% level of QPP benefits.
The QPP benefit is also based on a formula, but it is significantly more complex than that of the RREGOP. It takes into account all paid work as an employee in any job, not just teaching. The 100% level of benefits based on years of contributions is age 65, but it is possible to take a reduced pension as early as age 60 or an increased pension as late as age 70.

Q: Are pension benefits taxable?

A: Yes, they are considered income and are therefore taxable.

Q: If I am away from work, am I still getting credit for contributing to my pension?

A: It depends on why you are away from work and for how long. You should check to see whether your specific absence is covered or not. If you have been on a leave-of-absence, you can also enquire about the possibility of buying back the time after the leave is over to receive credit for pension service.